Updated: Jun 8
Debbie is excited to show you the Hexi Wall-hanging (Doll Baby Quilt), she made for her Granddaughter, Evie. First she has to give credit for the idea and the Hexi’s to her very talented friend, Ashley Dell. Ashley made a quilt, using this technique that Debbie fell in love with. Her Hexi’s were placed randomly on the quilt. Debbie's random placement kept turning into flowers, so I just went with it.
Watch the video with this link!
Here's how to make it!
I’m excited to show you the Hexi Wall-hanging (Doll Baby Quilt), I made for my Granddaughter, Evie. First I have to give credit for the idea and the Hexi’s to my very talented friend, Ashley Dell. Ashley made a quilt, using this technique that I fell in love with. Her Hexi’s were placed randomly on the quilt. My random placement kept turning into flowers, so I just went with it.
1. You need to decide on the finished size you want your Hexi’s and cut your QUILTERS SELECT PRINT & PIECE FUSE LITE to that size using your AccuQuilt Cutter or your Digital Cutter (Scan N Cut, Cameo, Etc.)
2. Cut your Hexi fabric ½” larger than the Print and Piece Fuse.
3. Cut top fabric to preferred size.
4. Cut backing 3” larger than top on all four sides.
5. Fuse Print & Piece Fuse Lite Hexi to the Center of the Hexi Fabric.
6. Using QUILTERS SELECT GLUE STICK, fold all sides in.
7. Place Hexi’s on top fabric randomly or in a pattern. When satisfied with placement, use Glue Stick to temporarily adhere Hexi to top fabric.
8. Sprinkle QUILTERS SELECT FREE FUSE on RNK EMBROIDERY BATTING. Place fabric with Hexi’s over the batting. Fuse top to batting by pressing for 4 seconds on a wool setting.
9. Repeat for backing, centering top and batting over back fabric.
10. Thread machine with QUILTERS SELECT INVISIBLE THEAD and QUILTERS SELECT 80 WT. BOBBIN THREAD.
11. Place strip of RNK EMBROIDERY PERFECTION TAPE down the center of the quilt for a straight edge. Using edge of tape, stitch from top to bottom of quilt. Flip quilt over and continue stitching using previous stitch and edge of foot as a guide.
12. When you have finished channel quilting, trim backing fabric leaving 2” on all sides.
13. Fold backing in 1” on long sides and place a piece of STITCH PERFECTION TAPE along the fold.
14. Remove the protective paper from the Stitch Perfection Tape and fold over to the top of the quilt, forming a binding.
15. Stitch binding down using a blanket stitch or decorative stich of choice.
16. Stitch Hexi’s in place, using a blanket stitch if you’d like.